Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Joys of Composting

Unfortunately, some green goals can become misadventures. After 4 months of worry-free frozen compost, I opened up our bin today to the most horrible smell possible. A year's worth of our food and yard scraps rotting in too much moisture is not the way to start a new spring.

Luckily, all the answers I need are at my fingertips. I googled "my compost stinks" and learned our compost was too wet (I could've guessed that when I looked at last Halloween's pumpkin leaking unknown juices into the bin). I added shredded paper we didn't need from our taxes and left the lid off for a bit. Within an hour, our compost returned to the appropriate earthy smell that will enrich our garden over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Copyright© Borrowing Earth